Closing date: 15 December 2021
Location: Euro-Med Monitor's regional office in Gaza - Palestinian territories
Background: We Are Not Numbers (WANN) was founded in 2015 under the umbrella of Euro-Mediterranean Human Rights Monitor in the Gaza Strip. The project has a mission to “tell the human stories behind the numbers in the news” by pairing Palestinian youth with native-English writers from around the world who coach them on how to tell their personal narratives (and those of others) in a way that will resonate with readers from other cultures. WANN cares about decolonizing and reclaiming the stories of Palestinians through its journey with its writers. Visit WANN’s website while reading this job description via the link: www.wearenotnumbers.org
WANN is seeking a candidate to fill a part-time position of Social Media Officer under the guidance and direct supervision of the WANN’s Project Manager with matric reporting to its Board. The expected duration of the contract is 11 months. Extension will be conditioned on a satisfactory performance evaluation as well as availability of funding for the project.
Job description: Managing all WANN’s social media channels according to the strategy agreed upon with the Project Manager and as approved by the Board.
- Regularly post humanitarian stories related to Palestinians in the Gaza Strip, the West Bank, and all around the world.
- Design and implement social media plans to support WANN’s mission to the world and its advocacy and fundraising campaigns.
- Embroider stories and intersectional narratives that correspond with different UN-recognized days and months related to Palestine.
- Identify timely news/events in Palestine to share/comment on, using the appropriate channels.
- Identify popular/trending hashtags to tie into on Twitter and Instagram.
- Develop a list of journalists, media and INGO Twitter accounts to follow and engage to position WANN as a go-to source for a Palestinian youth perspective.
- Respond to all comments and messages sent to the project through our social media channels (or appoint the appropriate person to do so) within 24 hours of receiving them.
- Manage Facebook fan groups.
- Track and report progress metrics and improvement areas using available Twitter, Facebook and Instagram data; submit report the first Monday of each month.
- Keep abreast of social media trends by reading and reporting back on articles sent by the International Director and participating in and sharing insights from identified continuing-education opportunities.
Innovation: ability to make new and useful ideas work.
Leadership: ability to persuade other writers and partners; generates commitment, excitement and excellence in others.
People management: ability to listen, persuade, adapt and transform; synthesizes information to communicate independent analysis.
Delivery: ability to get things done while exercising good judgment; meets goals and quality criteria for delivery of required tasks.
Project management: ability to plan, organize and control social media content.
Partnerships: ability to engage with other local partners, universities, schools and donors, and to forge productive working relationships through social media.
Results-based-management: ability to support WANN’s mission and community members to achieve desired results with an ability to manage multiple social media platforms and insights according to deadlines, assuring no tasks fall through the cracks, with minimal direction.
Social media: professional ability to deal with social media platforms and design Infographics and conduct other graphic and editing related tasks for posters and videos.
Report writing: ability to prepare efficient reports.
- BA in Journalism, IT, Graphic Design, English or any other digital field experience.
- At least two years of professional experience.
- Administrative reporting.
- Graphic design experience is an asset.
Being a senior or junior member of WANN is a great asset.
He/she must be:
- Willing and able to be available during off hours to respond to overseas team members and take on media tasks.
- Willing and able to be present in the WANN Gaza City office most workdays.
Interested applicants should send their CV, cover letter and a writing sample by the 15th of December to firstname.lastname@example.org, with a title of (SocialMediaOfficer+your name).